close menu

Relive Ferris Bueller’s Day Off in 8-Bit Earthbound Form

Feel like playing hooky from school or work today? Well if you do we have the perfect internet video to help fill those hours of leisure: an old school game version of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.

Posted to YouTube by CineFix, the 8-bit version of the film was created using Earthbound characters and tilesets. Creator David Dutton (with music supplied by Harry Dutton) re-tells the story of our favorite truant Chicago teenager in the form of a role-playing game, where major plot points are presented as “options” for the player.

We don’t get every classic scene or moment, like Ben Stein endlessly calling “Bueller” or the trio catching a game at Wrigley Field, but we do get most of the locales visited in the film, as well as the most random mid-week parade in history.

The best part about all of this is that we get the full Cameron experience, because even in 8-bit form he is still the miserable, down-trodden, easily peer-pressured, angst ridden friend we all know and love. Oh, and destroying his father’s car seems just as insane now in 8-bit form as it ever has.

It’s funny, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off was released in 1986, and Earthbound was released in 1994 (’95 in North America), but the 8-bit element here feels about a thousand years older than the movie itself.

So what other beloved film would you like to see these guys tackle next? I vote for Point Break. I’d love to see an 8-bit Keanu Reeves running around with the Ex-President’s. Share your best film nominee in the comments below.

Image: Paramount Pictures

(What are you still doing reading this? It’s over.)

A Closer Look at Keiji Inafune’s RECORE

A Closer Look at Keiji Inafune’s RECORE

article
What is Wrong with MAD MAX’s War Boys?

What is Wrong with MAD MAX’s War Boys?

article
Hundreds of Real Doctors Have Famous Fictional Doctor Names